- Two daily meals and a snack
- Daily literacy training, instruction and support
- Community building for children and parents
- Enrichment through field trips and recreational opportunities
- Daily contact with well-trained college students and adults who care for them
- Daily exposure to readers from everywhere in the communityLike the Head Start Program (which is housed here during the school year), Freedom School is a wildly successful program. In 2015, Freedom School reported the following results:
On average from 2010 through 2013, 56% of scholars improved their reading ability and 33% maintained their reading ability (this is compared to most low-income children who lose 2-3 months of reading ability in the summer months). (http://freedomschoolpartners.org/our-results/evaluation-reports ).
In work that seeks to impact poverty through education, community and support, Freedom School and Head Start rank exceptionally high as successful programs through which to do so.
Many times, the realities of poverty look too deep to struggle against, and many of us separate ourselves from those realities. This summer is your chance to jump in. One day—2 hours—gets you access to some of the happiest little people you’ll ever encounter in a well-run program right here in our building. We claim to be follows of Jesus, who called us to hang out with “the least of these my brethren.” Our brethren will be at Freedom School, every day, from 8:30-2:30, from June 16th-July 28th, right here in our building. Do not miss your chance to be part of this great work! http://qcfamilytree.freedomschoolpartners.volunteerhub.com/events/index
Stay tuned next week to read about how St. John’s has partnered with Freedom School!