90TH ANNIVERSARY of the
First Service in the Sanctuary
July 10, 2016
Dr. Chris Chapman, Senior Pastor
First Baptist Church, Raleigh
Lemonade on the lawn following the service
Sanctuary Open House until 2:00 pm
“Dedicate St. John’s Sunday” was the headline for an article in the Charlotte Observer on Thursday, July 8, 1926:
“Members of the congregation at St. John’s Baptist Church are preparing for the dedication Sunday [July 11, 1926] of their new house of worship, located at Hawthorne Lane and Fifth Street, and recently completed at a cost of nearly a quarter of a million dollars.
Work on the new plant, having a capacity of seating 500 persons in the auditorium and providing for 1000 persons in the Sunday School departments was started on April 1, 1925. It is of Grecian architecture and is finished in bulk brick and Indiana limestone. The interior of the auditorium is trimmed in solid mahogany. The organ is equipped with chimes and the pipes are finished in Tiffany gold. Four large chandeliers light the auditorium while concealed lights illuminate the large round dome. The community house, where services have been held preparatory to the completion of the new plant, will be utilized as a place for the social affairs of the church. “
There were two services that day — worship services at 11:00 am and 7:00 pm and a Community Meeting at 3:30 that afternoon. At the afternoon meeting, in addition to special music, prayers and readings were offered by the President of Queens College and the ministers of First Baptist, Ninth Avenue Baptist (now Midwood Baptist), and First Associate Reformed Presbyterian. Greetings were brought from the ministers at Caldwell Presbyterian and Pritchard Memorial Baptist.