A Word from Dennis
What are we emphasizing this autumn?
Global Missions Offering:
In October, we are building a better world through our Global Missions Offering. Our gifts will change opportunities for thousands of lives representing numerous nations and people groups.
Our goal is $25,000 and we have given $10,193 through September.
Worship in October and November:
Thank you for re-establishing your patterns and practices of commitment as we continue to regather. Although the Delta variant caused a spike in COVID cases during August and September, the recent decline in cases is promising. We are glad to see so many of you gathering in the sanctuary again. As our children are able to be vaccinated and as boosters begin to occur, we anticipate a continued ability to gather on Sundays. I appreciate your compassion as we wear our face coverings until it is safe. The reality is that our gathered congregation is probably more than 90% vaccinated except for our children. We are allowing families with children to be safe in our sacred space. It was so good to see so many families with children enjoying the Barbeque lunch on the grounds last Sunday. Tremendous thanks to M.C. Sorrell and Chuck Jones and the Ministries Deacon Panel team for coordinating this successful intergenerational event. Our October intergenerational event is a Tie Dye Party. And our November intergenerational event is a Food Truck Fellowship on Sunday, November 14.
Being Actively Faithful and Faithfully Active by Showing Up:
Next March, we enter our second century of ministry at St. John’s. Therefore, during October and November, we will reflect on God’s faithfulness to us and some ways we have expressed active faith in and commitment to God. I will highlight a few ways in which St. John’s witnesses of Christ and interprets God’s Good News today and how we have done so throughout the past century.
- October 3, 2021: Our worship will include Communion as we focus on The Face of God. Please read Exodus 33 prior to Sunday.
- October 10, 2021: Our worship will focus on The Hands of God. Please read Psalm 139:1-10 to prepare for worship.
- October 17, 2021: Our worship will focus on The God of Active Faith. Please read Exodus 3:1-6 in preparation for worship.
- October 24, 2021: Our worship will focus on The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Please read 2 Corinthians 3:17 – 4:5 to prepare for worship.
- October 31, 2021: Our worship will focus on The God Who Answers Prayers. Please read Matthew 7:7-11 in preparation for worship.
- November 7, 2021: Our worship will focus on The God Who Shows Up in Catastrophic and Challenging Times. Please read Luke 13:1-9 and John 9:1-7 in preparation for worship.
- November 14, 2021: Our worship will focus on Financial Stewardship and our theme, ‘Rooted in Love.’ Please read Ephesians 3:14-21 in preparation for worship.
- November 21, 2021: Our worship will include our Commitment Walk as we Embrace the Vision of Beginning our Second Century. Please read Matthew 13:1-23 in preparation for worship.